Livelihood promotion efforts have for some time now felt the need to scale up livelihood operations around a value chain. As scale increases the livelihood operations need proper management to ensure efficiency, transparency and purpose. SafalJEEVIKA-A provides a management information system for livelihood operations. Safal Solutions have as of now developed SafalJEEVIKA-A applications for operations in maize cultivation, dairy operations, tasar and in natural resource management. The application stores profiles of households, members, producers groups and SHGs. It automates transactions such as input and production. While recording the transaction in the MIS, it also updates the stocks. It helps plan and schedule operations and helps in monitoring and tracking follow up activities.
Livelihood promoting organizations have to develop long term plans to build capacities of targeted households so they can develop sustainable livelihood options, ground these options and support them with proper value chain management. SafalJEEVIKA-B has been designed as an MIS for livelihood promoting organizations, which will help in doing the following:
1. Building a performance tracking system across three reporting levels e.g. State, District and Block level or HO, team and project.
2. The generation of reports on progress of various project components /sub-components/ main activities on a monthly basis, thereby tracking input facilitated in terms of fund, capacity building and human resources, technical and marketing services.
3. Designing data capturing formats based on the requirement and automate them above project or block level.
4. To assist project staff to monitor the formation, operation and strengthening of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and Producers/Users Group (PU).
5. To track the progress in institution building i.e., in terms of SHGs, VOs, BLFs, Producers group formed, strengthened and made functionally effective.
SafalJEEVIKA-B has a two tier architecture where the basic data about SHG, VO and Federation is recorded at the project or block level and data is consolidated at HO or State level for monitoring and analysis. HO or State modules can be shared with other stakeholders, such as Bank, Insurance companies and Technical agencies.
Large-scale, multi-location, multi-organization development interventions throw up immense challenges for monitoring, evaluation and sharing of learning across all the organizations participating in the intervention. What is needed is both decentralized management and common reporting formats to enable integration. SafalMEAL is an MIS that has been developed to meet this challenge. A web based application, SafalMEAL allows organizations based in different locations to enter profile data and progress data into common formats online and thus share their progress and refer to and learn from others experiences. The application helps create decentralized management and better clarity on strategic direction. It allows for transparent performance tracking and benchmarking. With 12 profile entry screens and 9 progress entry screens the applications generates 71 analytical reports.